Religious Congregations and Lay Associations
The diocesan mission in the world is made complete by the efforts and work done by religious congregations and lay associations. Through their charisms, they complement the diocese and each other in areas of health, education, social welfare and charity. There are various religious congregations for nuns and a lay association.
- Servants of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Founded in 1925 by Bishop Louis Auneau – a French Montfort missionary, the charism of Servants of the Blessed Virgin Mary is to lead a holy life deepened in humility of serving God. The sisters embrace holy poverty to emulate Mary in sharing and living together in community. Their spirituality is simplicity of Mary the handmaid of the Lord who accepted to do the will of God by becoming the mother of God.
Their headquarters is Mary View at NGuludi, Chiradzulu district. Their first profession of the congregation took place in 1928. Currently they have three communities St Felix in Chikwawa, ST Martin in Molere and St Matthew in Nchalo.
2. Sisters of Divine Providence
The congregation started on 3rd November 1842 in Munster Germany. It was founded by Fr Edward Michelle’s, a diocesan priest from Germany. The sisters came to Malawi on 6th July 1960 and settled at Muona in Nsanje, where it remains their mother house. In Malawi, the regional house is in Chinyonga. Their charism is “helping the poor both physically and spiritually so that they may experience God’s love”.
In the diocese they have community in Muona, Trinity community and mother Virginia formation house. They celebrate their feast on Holy Trinity Sunday
3. Religious Sisters of Charity
It was founded in Ireland in 1815 by Mary Akenhead. The congregation came to Malawi in October 2011 and set up a community at Konzalendo in Chikwawa diocese. Their motto is “caritas urget nos”: The love of Christ urges us on. The founding grace for the congregation is the story of Lazarus in the scriptures, whose sermon moved the founder to give her life in service of the poor.
Sisters of the congregation take a fourth vow of charity. Their international headquarters is in Dublin Ireland. Apart from Malawi, they also serve in Nigeria, Ireland, England,Scotland and Carlifonia.
4. Mary Consoler of the Afflicted Lay Women Association
The association was founded in 1999 by Late Bishop Felix Mkhori. There were two pioneer girls who were accompanied by Teresian sisters. These girls took their final vows in 2011.
Their first community as an association was in Nsanje parish. From 2013 to 2019, these pioneer sisters were assisted by Good Shepherd sisters from Chipata Zambia in recruiting and formation of girls to sisterhood.
Their charism is “Compassion for the poor”
They have community houses at St Lawrence girls Secondary School, Nchalo, the Bishop’s residential area where there is a Postulate, and Bangula, a novitiate.
SISTERS OF OUR LADY OF AMERSFOORT
Also known as Sisters of Our lady, Sisters of our lady of Amersfoort were Founded on 29th July 1822 in Amersfoort in Holland. The founders were motivated by zeal to serve young people and poor children living under oppression through education.
Fr Matthias Wolff, SJ
Maria Stichters – Sr Matthia
Maria van Werkhoven – SrIgnace
Martha Pijpers – Sr Martha
Purpose of congregation is for the glory of God, Sanctification of members and the education of young people and the poor.
They are found in Netherlands, Indonesia, Philippines and Malawi.
In Malawi, they have communities at Stella Maris in Blantyre, Jacaranda in Blantyre, St Julie Convent in Lilongwe and Bangula convent in Chikwawa diocese.
The sisters arrived in Chikwawa diocese in February 1970 at the invitation of bishop Vrouemen and devoted themselves to serve the needs of poor people at Bangula and surrounding areas.
Salesian Missionaries of Mary Immaculate (SMMI) Sisters
History of the Congregation
Salesian Missionaries of Mary Immaculate (SMMI) is a Religious Congregation of Pontifical Right. The Generalate is located in Paris, France. The society was founded in Paris on 15 October 1872 by Fr. Henri Chaumont and Madam Carré de Malberg to live the gospel and spread evangelical charity in the world.
The missionary branch was formed in 1885, setting out its first missionary journey to India in 1889 led by the pioneers Mother Marie Gertrude, Mother Marie de Kostka, Sr. Magdalene and Sr. Joseph. SMMI is the missionary branch of the Society of the Daughters of St. Francis de Sales.
The Missionary Branch of the Society of the Daughters of St. Francis de Sales became autonomous on 11th November 1968. It was raised to the status of an Apostolic Religious Institute of Pontifical Right’ and continues to remain as part of the Salesian Society.
The Congregation is spread over 22 countries comprising 8 Provinces and 5 Regions.
Charism of the Congregation
The Charism of the Salesian missionaries of Mary Immaculate is to live the Gospel and to spread its spirt as religious:
Led by the Holy Spirit, we follow Jesus, meek and humble of heart, as did St. Francis de Sales, Doctor of love.
Animated by the Holy Spirit, sent like the apostles in the universal mission of the Church for the evangelization of the poor, with a special option for women in order to make them apostles of the Gospel, sharing Salesian Spirituality. It is carried out by being faithful to the Pope and to the teaching of the Magisterium, and being at the service of the Local church, especially through catechesis in place where evangelization has recently begun/ where it is needed.
SMMI live the motto “Be Mary” given by the founder with the mission of making the Blessed Mary known and loved.
History of the Mary Immaculate Convent Nchalo, Chikwawa.
Rt. Rev. Peter Martin Musikwa invited the Salesian Missionaries of Mary Immaculate to his Diocese Chikwawa, Malawi.
At Nagpur Sr. Alice Joseph with the consent of her council accepted the mission and the province began to pray for the new mission. As for the need of the mission, three sisters were named, namely; Sr. Shiji Mathew, Sr. Anjna Kujur and Sr. Archana Peter.
The mission departed Nagpur on 10th evening by train to Bombay with their Provincial Superior Sr. Alice Joseph and Sr. Vanita . On 12th Dec. at 12.30 am, they departed India for Malawi.
One of the general councillors Rev. Sr. Roseline Felice from France joined the mission from Nairobi ( Kenya).
The mission arrived at Lilongwe airport and were welcomed by Rev. Fr. Valerian Mtseka deputy secretary General of the Episcopal conference of Malawi who is from Chikwawa Diocese.
On 13th at 9.40 pm the mission arrived in Chikwawa and was welcomed by Rt Rev. Peter Martin Musikwa bishop for the Diocese , Fr. Alfeo Boloma Bishop’s secretary, Fr. Alan Mathews Semba, the parish priest of Nchalo and sisters from the Congregations of Mary Consoler of the Afflicted and Servants of the Blessed Virgin Mary were also present.
On 18th Dec. during the solemn Eucharistic celebration at St. Michael’s Cathedral, the Bishop Peter Martin Musikwa installed the SMMI sisters in the Diocese of Chikwawa.
After the Holy Mass the Bishop read out the declaration of the permission and the approval of the SMMI sisters to establish a religious community in the Catholic Diocese of Chikwawa. Rev. Sr. Roseline Felice the representative of superior general to signed the declaration on behalf of SMMI congregation.
On 25th March a renovated building at Nchalo was blessed and named as Mary Immaculate convent by the Bishop, and on 4th April, the sisters moved into their new house, Mary Immaculate Convent in Nchalo.
On 12th April the sisters began their healing ministry at St. Montfort hospital, Nchalo.
The following are the members of Mary Immaculate Convent, Nchalo.
- Sr. Shiji Mathew — Superior
- Sr. Anjna Kujur — Member
- Sr. Archana Peter — Member
|Founded in 1925 by Bishop Louis Auneau – a French Montfort missionary, the charism of Servants of the Blessed Virgin Mary is to lead a holy life deepened in humility of serving God. The sisters embrace holy poverty to emulate Mary in sharing and living together in community. Their spirituality is simplicity of Mary the handmaid of the Lord who accepted to do the will of God by becoming the mother of God. Their headquarters is Mary View at NGuludi, Chiradzulu district. Their first profession of the congregation took place in 1928. Currently they have three communities St Felix in Chikwawa, ST Martin in Molere and St Matthew in Nchalo.
2. Sisters of Divine Mercy